- This event has passed.
Events1: WSRCA NWIR Event: Expansion of Women in Roofing – A Man’s View
June 9 @ 3:00 pm - 4:45 pm
- GC: Tony Rader, VP National Roofing Partners; National Chair Associated Builders and Contractors
- Contractor: Dennis Ryan, President of Waterproofing Associates, past president WSRCA
- Contractor: Wendy Marvin, CEO of Matrix Roofing; WSRCA Board of Directors
- Consultant: Jonathan Stafford, Associate Principle, SGH; Past President RCI NorCal Chapter
- Manufacturer: Bob Thurston, Regional Manager, Siplast; RCI Member
The number of women in roofing is on the rise. What is a man’s perception of this increase? This panel of powerhouse men and women will speak to their views on the increase of women in the industry. They will discuss the challenges women face in the construction industry, their observations on how things have changed over the years for women, and what women do to help their male counterparts participate in their success. They will share success stories on hiring and retaining female talent; being a champion in their professional development; and how women have impacted their success.
- Identify the benefits of companies with a diverse work force.
- Understand the challenges faced by women in the roofing industry.
- Understand how you can become a champion of women in our industry, advance their career, benefit your career, and reap the rewards.
- Review action items to attract and retain women, and improve the bottom line.
Questions that will be asked
- From your perspective, what are some of the challenges you see women facing in our industry?
- Are there any perceived advantages?
- How things have changed over the years for women in our industry?
- What works and what doesn’t when hiring and retaining female talent?
- How do you become a champion of someone else’s professional development?
- How have women impacted your personal success and that of your company?
- Given the influences on your businesses and personal careers from diverse teams, perspectives and strengths, what actionable items and tangible advice to do you have for your peers?
Tony Rader is the telecom vice president of National Roofing Partners, Coppell, Texas, where he is leading a network of commercial roofing contractors in North America upgrading equipment from 4G to 5G. He is also the 2019 chair of Associated Builders and Contractors, a merit shop construction trade organization that represents more than 21,000 member companies across the United States. With 37 years of experience in general contracting, both as an owner and in executive leadership of large GC firms with revenue of more than $200 million annually, Rader’s focus is building long-term relationships with partners nationwide to achieve success on all fronts. Rader attended Tarrant County Community College in Hurst, Texas, and Southern Methodist University in Dallas. He is married and has three children and four grandchildren.
Jonathan Stafford is a building enclosure consultant at Simpson, Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) and specializes in applying his extensive knowledge of roofing and waterproofing to help clients solve challenging problems and design new systems that go beyond traditional water-related issues. He has applied his knowledge to the investigation and design of major commercial, institutional, and residential buildings to address waterproofing issues involving wall cladding, roofs, plaza decks, and below-grade spaces. He consults with architects, contractors, and building owners in designing the building enclosure for new projects, analyzing and repairing water intrusion problems, building modernization projects including the addition of outdoor amenity spaces, and construction defects for existing structures. He is an IIBEC/RCI Registered Roof Consultant and was a founding member and past President of the RCI Northern California Chapter.
Dennis Ryan has 45 years of experience in the roofing and waterproofing industry. He is the President of Waterproofing Associates, Inc., a commercial and industrial roofing and waterproofing company in Mountain View, CA. Dennis is a former President of the Western States Roofing Contractors Association and was on the board of directors for the WSRCA for 12 years. He is a Trustee for the Davis Memorial Foundation, a member of the Joint Roofing Industry and Labor Management Committee and the Recruitment and Retention Task force for the Labor Management Committee. So be sure to join us afterwards for the Davis Memorial Reception…or you’ll have to answer to Dennis!
As Matrix Roofing’s co-founder in 2007 and sole owner/CEO since 2016, Wendy Marvin does more than manage her 30 employees. No matter what hat she’s wearing at her office in Vancouver Washington, her goal is simple – she wants to be a part of helping our industry and her business succeed. From preparing her customers to receive inspirational service, to participating on the Western States Roofing Contractors Association Board of Directors, Wendy is passionate about giving back. She is a member of the Roofing Technology Think Tank (RT3) and is a Roofing Coffee Talk Influencer – blogging about answers roofing companies can use to further their businesses. Wendy also believes in her community, and her Executive Board of Director position for Girls Inc of PNW feeds her soul helping young ladies embrace being smart, strong and bold.
Bob Thurston is a Regional Manager for Siplast. Bob manages the sales organization in Canada, Washington, Oregon and California. He has over 30 years of experience in the Industry as a Roofing Contractor owner and as a Sales Manager in Distribution prior to joining Siplast. This experience has given him a very broad perspective of the many facets of the roofing business where he has worked alongside of many women trades and professionals.
During his time in the industry Bob has hired many women who have very successfully filled roles as administrators, accountants, roofing field technicians and truck drivers. He clearly recognizes that women are a key element to the success of any business and bring a unique and valuable perspective that is acutely necessary to allow a business to remain successful in the fast paced environment we face today.